Smeal’s Liechty Testifies Before Congress

July 21st, 2011 - 17 Comments

Smeal’s John Liechty testified before the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, last week regarding the newly formed federal Office of Financial Research (OFR). The OFR, which was formed last year with the passage of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, is charged with collecting data on the financial system to allow another government entity, the Financial Services Oversight Council, to effectively monitor its stability and ward off potential threats. The agency is the brainchild of Liechty, who spent 18 months gathering industry support and meeting with members of Congress to push its establishment.

According to The Hill‘s On the Money blog, the banking subcommittee wanted to learn “how the new Office of Financial Research plans to keep mounds of financial data safe from hackers. … With hackers always looming over the horizon, Republicans want to know what the office—which they charge lacks proper congressional oversight—is doing to keep that information in the right hands.”

In his prepared testimony, Liechty explained the origins of the OFR and why he believes its a necessary component to the country’s financial security. He opened with an outline of his three main points:

Financial stability requires transparency – The ability for regulators to both see through the counterparty network and the ability to see through asset backed, financial products to the underlying assets is an important fundamental component that is needed in order to be able to monitor the stability of the financial system. Transparency will require universally accepted identifiers and reporting standards—in essence it will require banks to get their back-offices in order. The investments required to improve transparency will not only result in improved macro-prudential regulation; they will result in improved risk management and substantial operational savings for the industry.

We face a significant scientific task – Not only do we not have the data in place, we have not done the science needed to understand system-wide risks to the financial system. In many ways, financial regulators are like the weather services, before the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was established. NOAA was given the mandate to i) collect new data, ii) develop new models for identifying extreme events and improving weather forecasts, and iii) conduct the science necessary to understand the weather systems and build these next generation models. The Financial Services Oversight Council (FSOC) and the Office of Financial Research face similar challenges and have been given a similar mandate.

We cannot afford to fail – We live in a leveraged economy where the resilience and growth potential of the economy depends on having both an innovative and stable financial system. Innovation often leads to instability, unless the appropriate infrastructure is in place to provide stability. The FSOC and OFR offer a way forward to build this infrastructure. The risk that we live with, if we fail to have the proper oversight to provide a stable system, is not just the devastating economic impact that would come from another financial crisis of the magnitude of the 2008 crisis, but more importantly the political reality that will follow. If we can’t get this right and there is another crisis, then there is a very real risk that the political response may result in a response that adversly affects the finanical market’s ability to innovate.

You can view the entire hearing on the House banking committee’s website. For more on the Office of Financial Research and Liechty’s role in its creation, check out this Smeal Report feature from late last year.

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 21st, 2011 at 9:10 am and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

17 Responses to “Smeal’s Liechty Testifies Before Congress”

1. Thankyou for this post, I am a big fan of this site would like to go on updated.

2. You actually make it appear really easy with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually something that I feel I might never understand. It kind of feels too complex and very extensive for me. I am looking ahead for your subsequent put up, I’ll attempt to get the hold of it!

3. It seems as though the hosting on this site is from a very poor provider because the images and posts are loading very slowly and sometimes not at all. You might want to check out host gator hosting and use this 25% off coupon I found. Just use this code at checkout: BIGGENIUSCODE

4. so long as your scouting around for the best coupon deals then stop over at our web blog where some of the most effective printable discount codes are presented

5. I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to reach my goals. I absolutely enjoy reading all that is posted on your website.Keep the stories coming. I loved it!

6. It really is tremendous web site, I became looking for something like this specific

7. I believe that is one of the so much vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some basic things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is truly great : D. Just right process, cheers

8. But a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw great design and style. “The price one pays for pursuing a profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.” by James Arthur Baldwin.

9. This will be a terrific web site, could you be involved in doing an interview regarding just how you designed it? If so e-mail me!

10. Irena Dreger says:

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks

11. This is valuable information for any real estate professional.

12. Sol Carmony says:

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

13. I do agree with all the ideas you have presented in your post. They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for newbies. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post

14. I truly enjoy reading on this web site , it holds good blog posts.

15. twitter programmer…

[...]Smeal’s Liechty Testifies Before Congress « Business Casual Blog[...]…

16. I precisely needed to thank you so much yet again. I am not sure the things I might have achieved in the absence of the entire basics documented by you concerning my theme. It absolutely was a real distressing concern for me, but noticing the very expert form you treated the issue forced me to weep for gladness. Extremely happier for your support and even have high hopes you are aware of a powerful job you are accomplishing teaching most people through the use of a web site. I’m certain you’ve never met any of us.

17. Howard Hinote says:

You’ll save money if you get married during the off-season – November thru March.